Amanda-Users

Re: NetApp request

2003-06-12 23:38:18
Subject: Re: NetApp request
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:20:16 -0400
On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 06:29:10PM -0700, Ashwin Kotian wrote:
> Ok so I finally took a chance and have installed the
> latest amanda version 2.4.4 as follows:
>
> ./configure --with-user=amanda --with-group=disk     \
>
> --with-gnutar=/bin/tar                    \
> --prefix=/usr/local/amanda
>
> I thought this is what is needed to tell Amanda to use
> GNUTAR instead of DUMP....however I'm not sure if that
> worked. I say this because if I rename the dump
> binary, amanda complains about unable to execute
> /sbin/dump.
>
> Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong ?

Yes, you select the program to use, a dump or gnutar,
by specifying it in the dumptype you select for your
disklist entry.

Before getting too far with gnutar make sure your
version of tar in /bin/tar is a) gnutar and b) a
version known to work properly.

Try "/bin/tar --version", you should get something like:
  tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
  Copyright © 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
  This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
  You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License;
  see the file named COPYING for details.
  Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

If the version is not 1.13.25 or possibly 1.13.19, get a good version
and install it in some local bin for amanda's use.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)