Amanda-Users

Re: NetApp request

2003-06-12 23:22:05
Subject: Re: NetApp request
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Ashwin Kotian <ashwin_jk AT yahoo DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:19:00 -0500
--On Thursday, June 12, 2003 17:23:41 -0700 Ashwin Kotian <ashwin_jk AT yahoo
DOT com> wrote:

> How big are the filesystems that you backup from the
> netapp filer ?
> If you are happy using TAR for doing Amanda backups on
> the Netapp, I'd like to try the same on my backup
> host. Since my Netapp is at about 90 Gb usage with one
> of the mounted directories close to 50 Gb, backups
> using dump/restore fail for the Netapp.

The NetApps are hundreds of gigs, I backup filesystems
on it that are less than 20GB.  Just make sure that
a full backup of each filesystem will fit on one tape.
Also, you might want a 'catch-all' entry with the proper
excludes to pick up anything new.
   For example, if you have a /filer/home directory with
subdirectories of bob, carol, and ted, and you make a
disklist entry for each of those, also make one for
/filer/home with excludes for ./bob ./carol and ./ted
so that if someone later adds an 'alice' directory it
will also get backed up.

> Is the restore process starightforward, while
> "amdumping" using the TAR program ?

Yes, especially if you turn on indexing

Frank