Amanda-Users

RE: Amanda thru a firewall

2003-06-10 09:11:52
Subject: RE: Amanda thru a firewall
From: donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com
To: bren AT midco DOT net, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:02:47 -0500
All the answers depend on the exact behavior of your firewall, but they
should act consistently with other permitted services.

To get Amanda through firewalls here, we needed to specify port ranges for
both the TCP and UDP ports.  We used the TCP range X0000-X0040 and UDP range
of N90-N99 (exact ranges shouldn't matter, but choose ones that are not
already in use on the systems you are supporting).  Make sure you change the
Amanda port definitions in /etc/inetd.conf (or equivalent) to match the
ports you have specified.

Our firewall rules specify which hosts are allowed to use the opened ranges,
and which are permitted to originate and which can terminate.  We played it
safe for reliability and allowed either side to originate or terminate on
the specified ports.  We only backup two systems through firewalls (but one
of those is on the other side of two firewalls, so things can get
complicated).  I found that 2.4.4 was the earliest release that worked
correctly through the firewall port ranges, since 2.4.3 complained about
insecure ports.  Your only real option is experimentation.  I do suggest
that (if you are running Linux) you build from source, since that is the
only way to ensure that the options you want enabled are present in the
software.

As always, your mileage may vary.....

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey