Amanda-Users

Re: Questions about Amanda - part II

2003-06-10 09:14:12
Subject: Re: Questions about Amanda - part II
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:11:55 -0400
On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 09:14:43AM -0300, Roberto Samarone Araujo (RSA) wrote:

> > >  3. If I put 'dump cycle' to 5, the partition that will be
> > >     backuped wil be divided by 5 and on each day 1/5 of the
> > >     partition will be backuped, ok ?
> >
> > No.  The partition will get a level 0 (full) dump once every 5 days,
> > and incremental dumps the other days.
> >
> > By the way, this is almost certainly not what you want.  You probably
> > want 'dumpcycle 1 week' and 'runspercycle 5'.
> >

> What I need is do a full backup in one day and incrementals on the next days.

Why?  If you really "need" that, more traditional backup tools are probably
better suited.  Amanda uses a different model.  Once people use it, most find
it a preferable one, despite their initial reservations.

> So, I put 'dump cycle 7' and 'runs per cycle 5' for 1 day of full
> backup and 4 days for incrementals, Is it correct ?

No, that is the traditional scheme.  It uses lots and lots and lots of tape
and lots and lots and lots of time on one day a week.  With amanda you give
it a list of disks (generally file systems, but not always) and some general
parameters like how often a full backup of each disk should be backed up.
That is your dumpcycle, say 1 week.  And you tell amanda how many backup
runs you plan to do during that dumpcycle of say 1 week.  That is runspercycle,
say 5.

Each run, amanda looks at the list of disks, checks when each was last backup
up fully, and decides which to do incrementals and which to do fully.  So each
run is a mixture of full dumps of some disks and incrementals of the others.
That 10 hour backup run 1 day a week plus a half hour run the other days becomes
a 2 hour backup each day.  Your tape usage goes from 100 GB 1 day plus 5 GB the
others to 20GB each day.

> I have a problem, last night Amanda send me a email about a backup but, the
> emails didn't have nothink. Something wrong ?

Did you run amcheck and get a clean report before trying to run amdump?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)