Amanda-Users

Questions about Amanda - part II

2003-06-10 08:15:26
Subject: Questions about Amanda - part II
From: "Roberto Samarone Araujo (RSA)" <rsa AT iesam.com DOT br>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:14:43 -0300
Hi,

    My questions is:

> >           2. I need to get the backups of all my machines. Do I need to
> > create a /etc/amanda/Directory/amanda.conf for each of them ?
>
> Usually, a single machine (the amanda "server") has the tape drive, and
> all other machines (amanda "clients") write their backups to the server.
> There is a single amanda.conf, on the server.

Ok, but if I put a lot of clients on 'disklists', Will amanda use one tape
for each client ? It will runs all backups on the same time, ok ?

> >           3. If I put 'dump cycle' to 5, the partition that will be
backuped
> > wil be divided by 5 and on each day 1/5 of the partition will be
backuped,
> > ok ?
>
> No.  The partition will get a level 0 (full) dump once every 5 days,
> and incremental dumps the other days.
>
> By the way, this is almost certainly not what you want.  You probably
> want 'dumpcycle 1 week' and 'runspercycle 5'.

Sorry, but it sounds so confuse for me. I read the chapter about Amanda on
"Essencial System Administration by Oreilly" and the author talk something
about: Amanda divide the partition that will be backup and each day one part
of the partition will be backup.

What I need is do a full backup in one day and incrementals on the next
days. So, I put 'dump cycle 7' and 'runs per cycle 5' for 1 day of full
backup and 4 days for incrementals, Is it correct ?

I have a problem, last night Amanda send me a email about a backup but, the
emails didn't have nothink. Something wrong ?

Thanks,

Roberto Samarone Araujo

Thanks,

Roberto Samarone Araujo