Amanda-Users

Re: problems using amanda with xinetd

2003-06-09 14:41:13
Subject: Re: problems using amanda with xinetd
From: "Stephen D. Lane" <drsteve AT nature.Berkeley DOT EDU>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:38:05 -0700
On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:10:19PM -0500, Mike Eldridge wrote:
> all,
>
> i'm having serious problems getting amanda to function on a server
> running xinetd.  the amanda setup on this particular box runs fine with
> inetd, but i cannot get xinetd to cooperate with me.
>
> the skinny:
>
>     upon amcheck, xinetd attempts to spawn 25 amandad processes,
>     generating 25 pairs of START/FAIL lines in my logs.  after the 25
>     attempts, xinetd disables the service.
>
>     amanda functions as expected under inetd.
>
> the error reported by amcheck:
>
>     WARNING: copernicus.sheergenius.com: selfcheck request timed out.  Host
> down?
>
> my xinetd entry:
>
>     service amanda
>     {
>         protocol        = udp
>         socket_type     = dgram
>         wait            = yes
>         user            = amanda
>         group           = disk
>         groups          = yes
>         server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
>         server_args     = amandad
>     }

---cut---

Howdy.  I am using xinetd (RH 7.2) w/amanda, and I actually have all three of
the following:

/etc/xinetd.d/amanda:
#
#

service amanda
{
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = amanda
        group                   = disk
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
        disable                 = no
}

-------------

/etc/xinetd.d/amandaidx:
#
#

service amandaidx
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = amanda
        group                   = disk
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
        disable                 = no
}

-------------

/etc/xinetd.d/amidxtape
#
#

service amidxtape
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = amanda
        group                   = disk
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
        disable                 = no
}

And don't forget /etc/services:

amanda          10080/tcp                       # amanda backup services
amanda          10080/udp                       # amanda backup services
kamanda         10081/tcp                       # amanda backup services
(Kerberos)
kamanda         10081/udp                       # amanda backup services
(Kerberos)
amandaidx       10082/tcp                       # amanda backup services
amidxtape       10083/tcp                       # amanda backup services

--Steve Lane               /"\
  Doudna Lab               \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
  U. C. Berkeley            X     Against HTML Email
                           / \