Amanda-Users

Re: problems using amanda with xinetd

2003-06-09 18:54:13
Subject: Re: problems using amanda with xinetd
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Mike Eldridge <diz AT hiphopanonymous DOT org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 18:51:38 -0400
On Monday 09 June 2003 15:03, Mike Eldridge wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 02:29:32PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 09 June 2003 14:10, Mike Eldridge wrote:
>> >all,
>> >
>> >i'm having serious problems getting amanda to function on a
>> > server running xinetd.  the amanda setup on this particular box
>> > runs fine with inetd, but i cannot get xinetd to cooperate with
>> > me.
>> >
>> >the skinny:
>> >
>> >    upon amcheck, xinetd attempts to spawn 25 amandad processes,
>> >    generating 25 pairs of START/FAIL lines in my logs.  after
>> > the 25 attempts, xinetd disables the service.
>> >
>> >    amanda functions as expected under inetd.
>> >
>> >the error reported by amcheck:
>> >
>> >    WARNING: copernicus.sheergenius.com: selfcheck request timed
>> > out.  Host down?
>> >
>> >my xinetd entry:
>> >
>> >    service amanda
>> >    {
>> >        protocol        = udp
>> >        socket_type     = dgram
>> >        wait            = yes
>> >        user            = amanda
>> >        group           = disk
>> >        groups          = yes
>> >        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
>> >        server_args     = amandad
>> >    }
>>
>> It does not contain a disable = yes/no line.
>
>i've tried with and without.  it has no effect.

1: Are the 3 utilities named in the file I sent present and accounted
for, or are we playing mix-n-match here between an rpm install, and a
home built install?  rpm doesn't put them in the above location IIRC,
but its been better than 2 years since I last tried to make the rpm's
work, lifes too short for that harrassment.

2: If you didn't even put the one I sent in and do a restart on
xinetd, "service xinetd restart", then there isn't a lot I'm going to
be able to do for you.  You apparently are convinced its not going to
work and thats that.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: