Amanda-Users

Re: problems using amanda with xinetd

2003-06-09 14:31:23
Subject: Re: problems using amanda with xinetd
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Mike Eldridge <diz AT hiphopanonymous DOT org>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:29:32 -0400
On Monday 09 June 2003 14:10, Mike Eldridge wrote:
>all,
>
>i'm having serious problems getting amanda to function on a server
>running xinetd.  the amanda setup on this particular box runs fine
> with inetd, but i cannot get xinetd to cooperate with me.
>
>the skinny:
>
>    upon amcheck, xinetd attempts to spawn 25 amandad processes,
>    generating 25 pairs of START/FAIL lines in my logs.  after the
> 25 attempts, xinetd disables the service.
>
>    amanda functions as expected under inetd.
>
>the error reported by amcheck:
>
>    WARNING: copernicus.sheergenius.com: selfcheck request timed
> out.  Host down?
>
>my xinetd entry:
>
>    service amanda
>    {
>        protocol        = udp
>        socket_type     = dgram
>        wait            = yes
>        user            = amanda
>        group           = disk
>        groups          = yes
>        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
>        server_args     = amandad
>    }

It does not contain a disable = yes/no line.

Here is mine:
===============================
# default = off
#
# This is the list of daemons & such it needs
service amanda
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        wait            = yes
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}
service amandaidx
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
}
All 3 services can be contained in this one file, works just fine.

And I don't know of a way to run strace as amanda and follow it all.
[...]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: