Amanda-Users

Re: problems using amanda with xinetd

2003-06-10 15:26:24
Subject: Re: problems using amanda with xinetd
From: Mike Eldridge <diz AT hiphopanonymous DOT org>
To: Bernhard Beck <bb AT collabrys DOT com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:23:02 -0500
On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 12:20:20PM -0700, Bernhard Beck wrote:
> I ran into something similar a while back that got me banging my head
> against the wall, so here it goes...
>
> Are you sure you are changing the xinetd config that is actually being used?
> Assuming you are on RedHat or similar, are you changing /etc/xinetd.conf or
> /etc/xinetd.d/amanda ?
> I believe the xinetd.d entry takes precedence.

gentoo.

i had to create the /etc/xinetd.d/amanda file as i've installed amanda
from source.  i've confirmed, from the syslog (and the syscall trace),
that the service is correctly configured.

> Are you restartting xinetd or just getting it to reload the config file?
> restarting might be a safer bet.

i've done both.

> Are you maybe accidentally running iptables on that interface?
> /etc/init.d/iptables status might be enlightening here.

no firewall is running on the interface.

> Do you see any effects changing when connecting after config changes?

?  i don't notice any change in behavior of amanda.  xinetd logs notices
of service changes, if that's what you're referring to.

> What's the output of xinetd in the message log when it starts up?

when xinetd starts up?

    Jun 10 14:21:54 [xinetd] xinetd Version 20030122 started with libwrap
loadavg options compiled in.
    Jun 10 14:21:54 [xinetd] Started working: 2 available services

> Last resort: pull out tcpdump or ethereal and see what's actually happening
> on the wire.

that's an idea.

-mike

   /~\  the ascii                     all that is gold does not glitter
   \ /  ribbon campaign               not all those who wander are lost
    X   against html                                     -- jrr tolkien
   / \  email!