Amanda-Users

Re: problems using amanda with xinetd

2003-06-10 01:15:15
Subject: Re: problems using amanda with xinetd
From: Mike Eldridge <diz AT hiphopanonymous DOT org>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 00:12:08 -0500
On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 06:51:38PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 09 June 2003 15:03, Mike Eldridge wrote:

[snip]

> >> It does not contain a disable = yes/no line.
> >
> >i've tried with and without.  it has no effect.
>
> 1: Are the 3 utilities named in the file I sent present and accounted
> for, or are we playing mix-n-match here between an rpm install, and a
> home built install?  rpm doesn't put them in the above location IIRC,
> but its been better than 2 years since I last tried to make the rpm's
> work, lifes too short for that harrassment.

the machine in question is running gentoo.

xinetd was installed from an ebuild.  amanda was installed from source.

by "3 utilities", i am assuming you are referring to the amandad,
amindexd, and amidxtaped binaries.  if this is correct, then yes, of
course the binaries are accounted for and in the correct place.  not all
three services are enabled, however, as it is my understanding that the
amandaidx and amidxtape services are only required on the tape server
host for indexing purposes.

> 2: If you didn't even put the one I sent in and do a restart on
> xinetd, "service xinetd restart", then there isn't a lot I'm going to
> be able to do for you.  You apparently are convinced its not going to
> work and thats that.

uhm, i have restarted the service after every change.  i don't just
change an entry in the file and expect it to automatically work.

i have confirmed that the service entry was reconfigured via syslog.  i
have tried HUPing the xinetd process -- which does instruct xinetd to
reread its config files -- *and* killing/restarting the process.  i have
spent several *weeks* trying to track the problem down.

i am just going to reinstall xinetd.  if that does not help, i am just
going to trash xinetd (since it's a pos anyways).

-mike

   /~\  the ascii                   when the ax entered the forest, the
   \ /  ribbon campaign          trees said, "the handle is one of us!"
    X   against html
   / \  email!