Amanda-Users

Re: tape hardware choices

2003-06-05 15:51:22
Subject: Re: tape hardware choices
From: Bill Carlson <wcarlson AT vh DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 14:39:35 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Olivier Nicole wrote:

> I have been using SLR (Tandberg) for a couple of years without problem.
>
> Working in difficult conditions (high humidity, lot of dust) I find
> linear reccording (SLR, DLT) better than helicoidal reccording: less
> density on the tape (more fault tolerant), much much simpler mechanic
> (less moving parts that could tear off).

I used to swear by DLT, these days I'm swearing at it. I've had two DLT
8000s that the takeup motor died within a year. Sure, they were fixed
under warranty, but that just means a little longer til the drive is dead.
The whole spliting of the DLT roadmap leaves a bad taste in my mouth as
well.

With larger and larger capacities on the tapes, that comfort level of low
density on the actual media is gone.

$.02

Bill Carlson
--
Systems Administrator    wcarlson AT vh DOT org      | Anything is possible,
Virtual Hospital      http://www.vh.org/      | given time and money.