Amanda-Users

Re: tape hardware choices

2003-06-04 17:12:31
Subject: Re: tape hardware choices
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: George Kelbley <kelbley AT cs.unm DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 17:10:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 at 2:38pm, George Kelbley wrote

> I'm looking into upgrading my tape hardware, and while a I know lots of
> sales types will give me lots of info, I was wondering what folks are
> using for amanda.
>
> Currently using an OverlandData LoaderExpress, 1 DLT8 drive, 10 tape
> library.  We get almost 2:1 compression using software, but I'm starting
> to get a couple of large files systems which consistantly need a tape
> "just for them", so I end up using more and more tapes.
>
> My entire load is about a terabyte, but I have new file server coming on
> line, rsn, which will be a terabyte all by itself.
>
> So any users of LTO, Super DLT, AIT?
>
> My amanda server is a Dell Workstation, Xeon 2GHz, 1 GB of memory and
> lots of scsi controllers and disks..

A number of groups here (Duke, I mean) have done evaluations and settled
upon AIT.  The price is good, the data rates and media sizes are good,
and Sony has a long roadmap for the technology (and Sony probably won't be
going away any time soon).

I've got an Overland Library Pro with 1 AIT3 and 19 tape slots, which I
like very much.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering