Amanda-Users

Re: tape hardware choices

2003-06-05 09:03:13
Subject: Re: tape hardware choices
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Tom Brown" <tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com>, "Olivier Nicole" <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 08:58:46 -0400
On Thursday 05 June 2003 07:37, Tom Brown wrote:
>> Our DDS4 autoloader has just died and we are looking at
>> alternatives. Has anyone had any joy with SDLT as we need added
>> capacity now and we were planning an upgrade anyway so this is
>> just 'assisting' in us getting a
>
>move
>
>> on with this!
>
>following this up. this is the error i get when i try and change
> tapes -
>
>$ mtx -f /dev/sg4 status
>  Storage Changer /dev/sg4:1 Drives, 6 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
>Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
>      Storage Element 1:Full
>      Storage Element 2:Full
>      Storage Element 3:Full
>      Storage Element 4:Full
>      Storage Element 5:Full
>      Storage Element 6:Full

I'm noting that it DOESN'T say that 0 is loaded!

>and change tapes...
>
>$ mtx -f /dev/sg4 load 1
>mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
>mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
>mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
>mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Hardware Error
>mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
>mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
>mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
>mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 44
>mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
>mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
>mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
>mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
>MOVE MEDIUM from Element Address 2 to 1 Failed

Which outputs nothing here, it just loads the tape.

>anyone seen anything like this before? It was working fine for over
> 2 years before this?

If you are mechanically inclined, remove the changer from its normal
location and re-attach the cables so that you can see what its doing.
It might be something so simple as a rubber roller thats become
polished up and is now slipping someplace in the robotics.   Or even
a very bad case of dust bunnies.  Rubber belts will lose their
tension and grip also, leaving the motor spinning its wheels and the
device times out reporting the error chain above.  Home vcr's are
infamous for that, to the point of the belts being designed out of
them in recent times.

>thanks - although i suspect broken hardware i thought i just pass
> this to the group to see if anyone else knew what it might be
>
>Tom

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: