Amanda-Users

Re: hardware vs software compression (was Re: amflush/amcheck not in sync?)

2003-04-24 11:02:20
Subject: Re: hardware vs software compression (was Re: amflush/amcheck not in sync?)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:59:02 -0400
On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:26:12AM -0500, Russell Adams wrote:
> > Of course hardware compression has one big advantage: speed.  If you
> > have to fit lots of data in a small backup window at night, and your
> > cpu's are not fast enough, or interfere with the nightly cpu-intensive
> > jobs, then hardware compression is the way to go.
>

> I have to take issue with this. My experience with hardware
> compression on DDS and DLT drives is that when enabled it makes things
> incredibly slow.
>
> My DLT IV (er, 7000?) drives can do 4.9 MB/s uncompressed, and only
> 800KB/s in compressed mode.

This is of course counter to advertising claims :))

Are you sure there was not some other factor involved.  A possibility
that comes to mind is that the no-hw-compression came from data already
in a single file or local to the server while the with-hw-compression
test data had to be "found" and that procedure caused the slow down?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)