Amanda-Users

Re: amflush/amcheck not in sync?

2003-04-23 11:55:40
Subject: Re: amflush/amcheck not in sync?
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu>
To: "T. Blader" <tblader AT flambeau DOT com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:51:37 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, T. Blader wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  I had requested a larger drive years ago,
> but the topic was not open to discussion.

Disks have gotten increadibly much cheaper in the last several years.
Holding disk is a good place to use cheap IDE drives IMO.  The other
thing I've done is take piles of old drives that have come out of
fileservers that were decommissioned in favor of newer systems with
bigger disks and reuse them for holding disks.  Amanda knows how to
spread a 15 GB dump across a series of 2 GB holding disks and then
reassemble it all into a single file when streaming it to tape.  These
disks are free if you just grab them before they go in the garbage.

> Will amanda continue to try and backup project2 and continue to
> fail as more data changes from day-to-day on project2?

Amanda will continue to try and backup project2 on every run.  Depending
on what the error was that caused it to fail, it may fail again or it
might have been a 1-time fluke.  You also had another full dump scheduled
for this run that was postponed due to planner not feeling there was
adequate tape space.  You might need to add more tapes to your dumpcycle,
which will spread your fulls out across a larger number of tapes.

-Mitch