Amanda-Users

Re: amflush/amcheck not in sync?

2003-04-23 11:19:11
Subject: Re: amflush/amcheck not in sync?
From: "T. Blader" <tblader AT flambeau DOT com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:16:13 -0500
Thanks for the reply.  I had requested a larger drive years ago,
but the topic was not open to discussion.

Will amanda continue to try and backup project2 and continue to
fail as more data changes from day-to-day on project2?

Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
You are in a maze of twisty little error messages, all different.

The real problem here is that various pieces of amanda are each
making assumptions based on what they can see from their side of
the elephant, and you hit a corner case that is handled properly
but the messages are somewhere between confusing and just plain
wrong.

What you've got is, roughly this.  TECH14 has all your dumps on it
except rochester/project2, which failed.  This dump was going
directly to tape rather than to holding disk.  (This was a 15 GB
dump and your holding disk is only 2 GB!)  For some reason this
dump then failed.  It's not clear to me from the messages whether
something happened on rochester and it stopped sending data, or
you ran out of tape, or you just had a tape write error, but some
error condition happened that caused this dump to fail shortly
before it was finished.  When that happened one part of amanda said
"uh oh, tape problem, send all further dumps to disk", which
triggered the "you need to amflush message".  But this was the last
dump, so there was nothing to flush.

-Mitch