Amanda-Users

Re: Sony AIT Library LIB-81

2003-04-08 05:27:27
Subject: Re: Sony AIT Library LIB-81
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:28:56 +0200
>> If you're looking for an AIT library I can't recommend the Overland
Data
>> LibraryPro products enough.  We looked at the Sony LIB-81, LIB-152 and
>> LIB-162 products when making our most recent purchasing decision and
>> decided instead to go with an Overland LibraryPro.

> Of course, as Toralf was looking at a 1U unit, I'm guessing that space
> might be an issue.  It's only fair to warn him that the Overland is
huge
> -- mine's a table-top unit, but I'm guessing it'd take up about 6U in a

> rack.

4U exactly when rackmounted.  I have five of them. :)

And I second (third? fourth?) the recommendation.  Nothing but good
experiences with them so far, and (bonus!) a backlit display with a
decent-sized font that I can actually _read_. ;)
Well, space is a concern, but I'm not really that worried about it as long as we're talking about 4U (or even 6U), rather than the 15U or so required by some of the larger libraries. The cost, however, is a major issue. I'm looking at the Sony autoloader because it seems to give better value for money than "real" tape libraries e.g. from Qualstar. These certainly seem more powerful and flexible, but they also cost a lot more - and the difference in price is much larger than what the added power and flexibility can justify, I think. I haven't actually checked the Overland products, though...

- Toralf