Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda not scheduling dumps properly

2003-02-12 17:25:35
Subject: Re: Amanda not scheduling dumps properly
From: John Oliver <joliver AT john-oliver DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:07:45 -0800
On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 02:11:50PM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 at 12:17pm, Frank Smith wrote
>
> > --On Wednesday, February 12, 2003 08:50:56 -0800 John Oliver <joliver AT
> > john-oliver DOT net> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm still having a problem with one partition that amanda keeps trying
> > > to do a level 0 backup for, and fails.  Why will it not back up this
> > > partition all by itself, or with just a couple of other things?
> >
> > Is it larger than the 18GB taper was able to write to tape?  Also, did
> > all the output come from the same run, because taper claims it wrote 18GB
> > when it hit EOT, but the stats only show writing 564MB.
>
> That's correct, though.  Only 564MB made it to tape successfully.  The
> 18GB is that 564MB plus 17.5GB worth of hda2 that amanda wrote before it
> hit EOT.

I want to see if I understand this correctly... since my holdingdisk was
only 2GB, and the filesystem in question is ~18-19GB, amanda was trying
to write it directly to tape.  Further, I'm guessing that, because the
data wasn't going through the holdingdisk, that that was precluding
compression, which is why I was running out of space (since my drive is
20/40).

But, then... the drive is supposed to be compressing, isn't it?  Maybe
I'm still confused... :-)

--
John Oliver, CCNA                            http://www.john-oliver.net/
Linux/UNIX/network consulting         http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/