Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda not scheduling dumps properly

2003-02-12 20:28:34
Subject: Re: Amanda not scheduling dumps properly
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: John Oliver <joliver AT john-oliver DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:15:35 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 at 3:37pm, John Oliver wrote

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 06:05:03PM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> > If you want to continue using software compression (let's amanda be more
> > accurate), then turn off compression at your tape drive.
>
> For the life of me, I can't find how to disable hardware compression.
> Drive is a Quantum TH5AA DLT 4000.  I found the Product Manual on
> Quantum's site, and it mentions that you *can* disable compression, but
> neglects to say how.  Nothing I can find does :-(

Is this on Linux?  Try 'mt -f /dev/tape compression 0'.  Of course,
replace /dev/tape with the proper device.  You won't get any feedback from
mt, but I've found that tapeinfo (from the mtx package) will tell you
whether or not hardware compression is enabled.  Point tapeinfo at the
generic device associated with the tape drive.

Again, this is all assuming Linux.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering