ADSM-L

ADSM newsgroup -Reply

1998-06-30 10:20:14
Subject: ADSM newsgroup -Reply
From: Steve Fletcher <SFletcher AT GIANTOFMARYLAND DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 09:20:14 -0500
This sounds good, but it may have a drawback in my opinion.  One of the
benefits of this list is
the ability to access the archives either through specific searches or
retrieval of an entire month
for example.   I am not familiar with newsgroups to a great extent, but I am
curious if the archival
processes permitted by the listserver are available through a newsgroup?  My
recollection of
newsgroups is that once the message scrolls off, it cannot be recovered.  Is
this still the case?

If the idea of individual messages coming in from the LIST is hassle, then
consider getting one
message a day in a digest format.  You receive one large message containing
everything sent to
the list in 24 hours.  The first part of the message is the subject of the
individual messages and
you can decide if there is something in there you wish to read.

I would prefer to keep this forum as it is and believe conversion to a
newsgroup would be a less
informative / helpful.

>>> Anton Gubarkov <Anton.Gubarkov AT SONY DOT RU> 06/30/98 12:38am >>>
Dear colleagues,

As far as I could grasp there is no newsgroup for adsm discussion. This
mailing list of course is doing a good job of compensation of the newsgroup
absense. But I personally find it a little bit inconvenient moving 50
messages a day into trash. Judging on the size of the mailing list (1332
persons) I believe we can register a newsgroup.

What do you think?

regards, Anton, storage manager at SONY, Moscow