nv-l

[nv-l] IBM Tivoli NetView - is this a product or not??

2002-04-09 15:46:59
Subject: [nv-l] IBM Tivoli NetView - is this a product or not??
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 20:46:59 +0100
Can anyone shed any light on today's announcements re the new Tivoli
product portfolios and NetView (I mean Distributed NetView here)??

The Tivoli site only seems to talk about Tivoli NetView as a /390
product and says that TEC 3.7.1 has network management capability added
in for distributed platforms:
  http://www.tivoli.com/products/index/netview/

The IBM Announcement Letters site has ZP02-0149 which talks about
NetView 7.1.2 as a new announcement today (though I can't find the
announcement letter) whereby NetView 7.1.2 is available as a standalone
product OR as part of TEC 3.7.1.

ZP02-0115 seems to say that if you have an old product with Tivoli
Support then you are entitled to migrate to the new product.  Does this
mean if I have a distributed NetView licence with a support contract, I
can migrate to TEC 3.7.1?????

A good piece of news is that there seems to be a new product, IBM Tivoli
Switch Analyzer, which does "...auto discovery and population of layer 2
switches" and is available for AIX and Solaris.  It requires TEC 3.7.1
or NetView 7.1.2 as a pre-req.

Another good piece of news (but I can only see a 1-liner about it), is
that TEC 3.7.1 will now support Comprehensive Network Address
Translation (CNAT).  Does this mean that CNAT is now rolled into NetView
7.1.2 which is rolled into TEC 3.7.1???

Cheers, Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2002 Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>.  All rights
reserved.