nv-l

Re: [nv-l] IBM Tivoli NetView - is this a product or not??

2002-04-10 17:31:41
Subject: Re: [nv-l] IBM Tivoli NetView - is this a product or not??
From: "Pam Geiger" <pgeiger AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:31:41 -0400
Folks, I'd like to jump in on this one to hopefully clarify this a little
bit from the NetView perspective. Several things happened in this
announcement:

1) NetView 390 now comes with integrated TCP/IP services, which as James
mentions is distributed NetView for Linux ported to zLinux

2) This is the first step in merging TEC and NetView, however NetView WILL
still be available as a standalone product. The NetView distributed
pricing is on a per managed device basis, so once you hit the minimum TEC
server purchase price, you will be better off purchasing a TEC license,
which includes unlimited network management (integrated TCP/IP services).
That will allow you to take advantage of the features of TEC as well as
the integration, which will continue to be enhanced moving forward.
Integrated TCP/IP services is more than just shipping NetView and TEC,
there is some integration provided out of the box . The integration
includes contextual launch of the NV console from the TEC console,
synchronization so that an event updated in one console will be updated in
the other and event correlation.  On the NetView side, you'll have the
option of using a new event class for the network events. TEC will
recognize this new class and TEC rule language has a new capability
enabling it to determine if a given IP address included in a system event
is on a subnet known to be unreachable, and therefore can pinpoint the
network problem as the root cause.   TEC will also include a NetView
"intelligence pack" (rule set) to process common NetView events.

3) CNAT will be included with TEC , not with NetView

4) As Jane mentioned, the IBM Tivoli Switch Analyzer was also included in
this announcement. It installs on top on NetView 7.1.2 and provides layer
2 knowledge and root-cause analysis down to the layer 2 level.

I hope this helps and doesn't muddy it up even more. Feel free to let me
know if you have questions

Pam
Pam Geiger
Tivoli Performance and Availability Evangelist
pgeiger AT us.ibm DOT com
919-224-1665, T/L 687-1665

James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
04/09/2002 04:31 PM