nv-l

[nv-l] nvsniffer

2002-04-10 16:09:53
Subject: [nv-l] nvsniffer
From: "Jorge A. Jiles" <Jorge.Jiles AT ualberta DOT ca>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:09:53 -0600
Netview 7.1 Solaris 8

A while ago I posted the following message with no reply, se here it goes
again:

My understanding is that nvsniffer performs a raw port checking on tcp
ports. Sometimes this is not enough to determine if an application is
actually behaving properly. Does nvsniffer provide any modules to check at
the application level? For example for port 53: first do a raw check on the
port and if the answer is good, do an nslookup on some address or so. Do I
have to write my own module to do this?

When nvsniffer finds a service down, does update a netview database to
reflect this change? if so, where in the databases?

How are you guys out there checking for applications status?

Unfortunatelly the online help for nvsniffer is not very detail to say the
least.

We have big brother performing applications level checks, but would like to
move this function to Netview somehow as it is easy for out under-staff
operation personnel to look a one single system.

Thanks for any information.

Jorge A Jiles
Network Analyst
Computing & Network Services