Networker

Re: [Networker] VSS changes in NW 8?

2013-06-25 15:39:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] VSS changes in NW 8?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:31:37 -0400
> > It's really only an issue if you manually list these VSS savesets in a
> > client definition.
>
> My background is UNIX & Linux so my only exposure to VSS has been
because
> I'm our primary NetWorker expert.  I've let our Windows admins handle
> all aspects of backing up our Windows clients.
>
> With that level of inexperience in mind, could you explain why you chose
> to list the VSS savesets specifically, rather than just using "All"?

With a windows client, especially Win2008 and later, a saveset of ALL
includes the pre-defined DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset. This is primarily
everything defined as "system files" - pretty much "C:\Windows",
"C:\Program Files" .. .and anything else that registers itself as a
"critical" system program. In my case, Lotus Notes defines itself as
"system critical" (i.e., needed for a disaster recovery recover),
including all the mailboxes.

So here's the problem - DISASTER_RECOVERY: includes the D: folder
structure that contains all the mailboxes. And if you use the ALL, you get
DISASTER_RECOVERY: (meaning my 700G+ of mailboxes) .. and then get it
again, as D: is now included in ALL.

So I have 2 jobs - one with a directive that only lists specific folders
on D: drive, and one that SKIPS those same folders, and also gets C: (and
the VSS I listed). That way, if a new folder gets created somewhere on D:,
that is not in the Notes/Domino folder structure, I will still get it.

> I ask because our Windows admins have typically gone the other route:
they
> specifically list C: and any other volumes they wanted backed, rather
than
> using "All", specifically so they *don't* get the VSS savesets.
>
> My understanding is that they have no intention of doing a bare-metal
> recovery if we had a catastrophe on a Windows client, so they see no
value
> in the VSS savesets.

In the specific case of a Notes DR, I would agree. Notes (well, Domino) is
written in "old school" Windows - ini files and all. So our DR plan is to
just re-install Windows clean; install Notes; Domino; restore the D:
drive; and go ... which probably obviates the need for the explicit
listing of VSS settings, given that we won't be doing a BMR recovery. But
it won't hurt for them to be there, as long as I don't want to use them in
a BMR scenario ...

> We don't have Exchange, our SQL Server systems
> currently are backed up after they do a SQL dump to a file (so no "hot"
or
> point-in-time recovery, which we're currently OK with).

We do both. Yes, on the same SQL servers. :-) I have half a dozen I do a
"hot" backup with, using the NW SQL Module. They also write out the
flat-file copy (the ".bak" file aka a file dump) every night, on a
scheduled SQL Agent task. And I back that up, too ...

> About the only
> place we use the VSS savesets is for backing up our AD servers.
>
> I'm just wondering if there's some advantage to listing them
specifically
> that I'm not aware of.

Probably not, at least not in your case, and probably not mine, either ...