Networker

Re: [Networker] VSS changes in NW 8?

2013-06-25 15:14:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] VSS changes in NW 8?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 14:06:31 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] VSS changes in NW 8?, Michael Leone said (at...:

It's really only an issue if you manually list these VSS savesets in a
client definition.

My background is UNIX & Linux so my only exposure to VSS has been because
I'm our primary NetWorker expert.  I've let our Windows admins handle
all aspects of backing up our Windows clients.

With that level of inexperience in mind, could you explain why you chose
to list the VSS savesets specifically, rather than just using "All"? I ask
because our Windows admins have typically gone the other route: they
specifically list C: and any other volumes they wanted backed, rather than
using "All", specifically so they *don't* get the VSS savesets.

My understanding is that they have no intention of doing a bare-metal
recovery if we had a catastrophe on a Windows client, so they see no value
in the VSS savesets.  We don't have Exchange, our SQL Server systems
currently are backed up after they do a SQL dump to a file (so no "hot" or
point-in-time recovery, which we're currently OK with).  About the only
place we use the VSS savesets is for backing up our AD servers.

I'm just wondering if there's some advantage to listing them specifically
that I'm not aware of.

Thanks,

Tim
edu