Networker

Re: [Networker] VSS chnages in NW 8?

2013-06-26 09:13:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] VSS chnages in NW 8?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 09:06:15 -0400
> "So here's the problem - DISASTER_RECOVERY: includes the D: folder
> structure that contains all the mailboxes. And if you use the ALL,
> you get DISASTER_RECOVERY: (meaning my 700G+ of mailboxes) .. and
> then get it again, as D: is now included in ALL."
> AFAIR this was true with NW 7 clients an Windows 2003 - it is not

Win2003 clients do not have a DISASTER_RECOVERY: savesets; this is a
Win2008 (and up) feature.

> true any more with NW 8 clients. The save set DISASTER RECOVERY (at
> least on W2K8 clients) is just a 'meta' - it only is some kB in size.

I can't test that during the week (it is a production server), but the
DISASTER_RECOVERY: backs up everything listed as a SYSTEM WRITER, right?

So if I do a DISKSHADOW command, and LIST WRITERS, I see - under "System
Writer:\System Files" - "e:\lotus\domino".

This is on a Win2008 R2 client.

I discussed this at the time; look in the list archives for Aug 2011. Look
for a thread "NW 7.6.2 and the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset".

"NetWorker identifies "critical volumes" during DISASTER_RECOVERY backup.
These critical volumes are determined by examining the Windows VSS writer
metadata. The Windows ASR writer is one source of this information, we
also query the metadata from all other writers on the system. If any
writer is classified as "bootable system state" or "system service" then
the disk containing the writer components is classified as "critical".