Networker

[Networker] VSS chnages in NW 8?

2013-06-25 16:33:40
Subject: [Networker] VSS chnages in NW 8?
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:27:02 -0700
Coming back to the save set issue ... you should definitively see the available
save sets when you use the winworkr GUI on the client and browse its file
systems.
The VSS save sets are especially important whenever you need to run a full
DR/BMR.

You should not use 'All" when you must 'split' save sets, for example if you
need to backup a specific (log file?) directory/partition multiple times a day.

"So here's the problem - DISASTER_RECOVERY: includes the D: folder structure
that contains all the mailboxes. And if you use the ALL, you get
DISASTER_RECOVERY: (meaning my 700G+ of mailboxes) .. and then get it again, as
D: is now included in ALL."
AFAIR this was true with NW 7 clients an Windows 2003 - it is not true any more
with NW 8 clients. The save set DISASTER RECOVERY (at least on W2K8 clients) is
just a 'meta' - it only is some kB in size.

I do not know Notes but you might think about using the Notes module.

SQL - we dump the DB to files and only back these up.
The SQL module works nicely. However, one big issue is that it is made to
assist the backup-admin. He can really do an easy PIT restore but he can not
address part of the backup.
Whilst a SQL admin would probably only need to recover/merge a few log files,
the backup admin will need to restore the whole DB. And this can take hours
instead of minutes.