Networker

Re: [Networker] Renaming a server; question about clients

2013-06-17 15:28:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Renaming a server; question about clients
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 15:20:18 -0400
> > I can't imagine I
> > would need to edit the \nsr\res\servers file on all my clients by hand
(or
> > by writing some script to do it); there must be a better way.
>
> Use a configuration management system to manage all your hosts.  :-)

We don't have one.

> I've never used the built-in nsrpush client update functionality because
> we use other methods to manager our clients.  However, I imagine you
might
> be able to use that to get your servers file updated as part of client
> package updates.

Doesn't appear to be. It seems to be for pushing out entire client version
upgrades, not configuration changes.

> Note that you don't need to wait until you rename your server to make
> these changes.  You could start updating the file now to include both
> the new name and the current name.

I seem to have run into a permissions issue. I decided to write out a new
"servers" file remotely. And after making a copy of the existing "servers
file", I was going to replace it with one that has the new name appended
to it. I can't (remotely) write out changes into the "nsr\res" folder at
all. I get "Access Denied". Yet my account shows that under effective
permissions, I have full access - Read, Write, etc. I can read the current
file, I just can't copy the new one into it.

So what am I doing wrong?

(This is Windows, if you couldn't tell. :-))