Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.4.5 nsrck hangs

2009-09-04 20:05:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.4.5 nsrck hangs
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 10:01:15 +1000
On 05/09/2009, at 09:04 , Francis Swasey wrote:

On 9/4/09 6:52 PM, Preston de Guise wrote:
On 05/09/2009, at 08:45 , Francis Swasey wrote:
On 9/4/09 5:10 PM, Roberta Gold wrote:
When I remove a client, I also move the client index to a different directory. Once my advertised retention time is up, I remove any remaining media index entries for those clients from the volumes that are onsite. The only remaining entries will be for the DR volumes that are offsite. I wish NetWorker had a "NUKE CLIENT" option in the NMC that would totally cleanup after a client.

Yes, I wish that as well. I had seen a post here describing using nsrmm to delete the client index when deleting a client. So, I also have removed the /nsr/index directories for these clients that are causing nsrck to get stuck.
Personal preference of course, but I for one disagree. NetWorker's entire strategy (e.g., dependency checking, etc.) is about maximal data protection. If you want a product that just goes and blows away data, pick a less trustworthy backup product... Working with support partners as I have been for the last 10+ years, I can honestly say that I routinely have customers who are told to decommission clients, go on to also delete the indices, and then have an urgent recovery request come in for them. I.e., I'd much prefer NetWorker not make deleting client indices easier than it already is :-)

Disagreement can lead to minds being changed. Is there ever a time when you remove the /nsr/index directory? Do you delete the client from NMC (and leave the /nsr/index directory there) or just disable it and remove it from all groups?

My personal preference on decommissioning clients is:

Note client ID
Delete client
Re-add client, preserving client ID, leaving it out of all groups

(Frees up license immediately)

For clients that are being pulled from DNS as well, I always maintain fake private subnets in 'hosts' on the backup server so I can keep the client name as something resolvable at all times. E.g., 10.x.y.z where 'x' and 'y' are guaranteably not in use.

By doing all the above, the index stays on disk until it's clearly time to remove it.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com