Networker

Re: [Networker] Manual backups anyone ?

2009-03-20 16:15:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Manual backups anyone ?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:10:40 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Manual backups anyone ?, Goslin, Paul said...:

We rarely, if ever, do manual backups for the following reason. There is
no way to specify the backup-pool when using the Networker User GUI to
initiate a manual backup, therefore, the backup can only go to the
Default pool (which we don't use).

That pretty much echoes why we don't use client-initiated backups.

If we need to do a one-off backup, we initiate it from the server, by
running a savegrp and limiting it to just the particular client(s) we
want backed up.

As to Skip's question of when/why we use manual backups, the only reasons
we run a (server-initiated) backup that falls outside our normal backup
window are

- to run a full backup before reinstalling, upgrading, or decommissioning
  a system.

- to run a normal backup (a particular level backup or incremental) of
  a system with the system quiet (e.g. in single user mode or with
  services turned off) before performing some maintenance like upgrading
  a large/core software package or applying software updates.  This is
  done so that if the maintenance goes horribly wrong, we can recover the
  system to the point it was just before the maintenance, rather than the
  point it was when the last normally-scheduled backup took place.

Tim
edu