Networker

Re: [Networker] Manual backups anyone ?

2009-03-20 17:01:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Manual backups anyone ?
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:54:09 -0700
We do occasional what I would call manual backups but I always create a
group to do them so I can control the other factors such as backup pool
and automatic cloning.

The "manual" backup we run most regularly is to back up our Oracle Redo
Log Archive (RLA) files which runs about once a week.  A cron job on the
Oracle system monitors the space used on the filesystem that holds those
RLAs.  When it reaches 75% full it uses nsradmin to automatically kick
off the save group that is set up to run a script I wrote as the backup
command to specifically back up the RLA files and delete them after the
backup finishes.

The other times I do "manual" backups are when we have a brand new
server that I backup before it is put into production or when we are
permanently retiring a server as an archive.  On a couple of occasions
I've also done manual backups to preserve specific data for potential
discovery in lawsuits.

But, as I said, I always create a group for the backup to be able to
control all of the parameters for the backups.

Dave Werth
Garmin AT, Inc.
Salem, Oregon