Networker

Re: [Networker] Manual backups anyone ?

2009-03-20 15:26:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Manual backups anyone ?
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:20:58 -0400
We rarely, if ever, do manual backups for the following reason. There is
no way to specify the backup-pool when using the Networker User GUI to
initiate a manual backup, therefore, the backup can only go to the
Default pool (which we don't use). The only way I know of to initiate a
manual backup from the client which goes to a specific media pool is via
a command line where you would issue a save command with the backup pool
specified in addition to the level, server, and path to be backed up...
(see the man page for the 'save' command).

The only exception to this that I've seen so far, are the modules for
Exchange and MS-SQL, the GUI that comes with those modules allow you to
specify what pool the backup is to be written to before you start the
backup. We've done some client initiated Exchange backups were we simply
use a scheduled task to issue the same nsrxchsv.exe command that the
networker server invokes on the client machine. We did this as a
work-around to get our Exchange data backed up when the Networker Server
was unable to initiate the Exchange backups (for reasons EMC support
can't or won't specify...). When we asked them why it would not work
when initiated from the backup server, they did not or could tell us
why...