Networker

Re: [Networker] Manual backups anyone ?

2009-03-20 16:32:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Manual backups anyone ?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 07:26:58 +1100
On 21/03/2009, at 06:46 , Rick Brode wrote:

Actually, a client-initiated backup will not necessarily go to the Default pool. It will definitely go to the Default pool only if all other enabled backup pools have a value specified in their "group" attribute. However, if a pool is configured without any value for its "group" attribute, a client-initiated backup MAY be written to it. For example, if a pool is configured with a value only in its "client" attribute, any backup of the client, whether server- initiated or client-initiated, will go to that pool (assuming there is not another pool that specified both the client and the group). The only reason I bring this up is because a high percentage of folks that attend my classes believe that all client-initiated backups go to the Default pool.

True, that can be done; however, as a long term NetWorker user I'd equally argue that it's embarrassing and annoying in equal parts that you can't select a backup pool in the client GUI for filesystem backups even though you *can* for the client GUI for Exchange backups, MSSQL backups, etc.

I can't tell you now many times I've been assured there is an RFE for it!

[disclaimer: I thoroughly avoid using the GUI at all times]

On Skip's original question - 99% of the time I see manual saves being used is for testing purposes.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com