Networker

Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?

2008-02-13 12:38:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:34:34 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?, Yaron...:

Tim Mooney wrote:

Agreed.  For what you pay to buy one decent SPARC box with the right
I/O layout, you can probably buy an x86 server (again, watch the I/O
config) plus 2-3 storage nodes.

This is a PQ for a Sun T1000 from Sun's web site. It should make a great storage node (I will know for sure within a month or so). It is priced like any typical x86 server. Notice that the Emulex HBA is very expensive
(but this should be the same for x86 as well).

I think you're getting gouged on the FC HBA (we typically pay in the
$1,200 to $1,500 for a dual-port 4 GB QLogic QLE2xxx HBA), but you're
right -- the rest of the server is extremely competitive with x86
hardware.  Prices on the T series systems are much more competitive than
I remember anything being from Sun.

The last time we replaced our NetWorker server hardware, Sun still wanted
$20K for an anemic V4XX system that couldn't match the x86 hardware we
bought for $8K.

It looks like the T series is a great option, if you're a Sun/Solaris
shop.

Sun Fire T1000 Server
1
        T10Z106A-04GB1G         $ 2,795.00
$ 2,795.00
Sun Fire T1000 Server, 6 Core, 1.0 GHz UltraSPARC T1 Processor, 4 GB (4 x 1 GB DIMMs) DDR2 Memory, 160 GB SATA Disk Drive, 1 Power Supply, 4 x 10/100/1000 Ethernet Ports, 1 Serial Port, 1 PCIe Slot, Solaris 10 Operating System and Java Enterprise System Software Preinstalled, RoHS-5 Compliant
Ships Within: 12  business days Call Sun
1
        X311L   $ 0.00
$ 0.00
Power Cord Kit, North American/Asian, RoHS Compliant
Ships Within: 5  business days Call Sun
1
        SG-XPCIE2FC-EM4         $ 1,995.00
$ 1,995.00
4 Gb Dual FC PCIe Host Bus Adapter, Emulex, includes Standard and Low Profile Brackets, RoHS-6 Compliant
Ships Within: 5  business days Call Sun
        1       $ 4,790.00
        $ 4,790.00

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)