Networker

[Networker] best platform for newest networker?

2008-02-13 03:41:02
Subject: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 00:37:01 -0800
enchanter wrote:
> In regard to: Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?, Vincent...:
>
> Ah yes, because Solaris (or AIX, or HP-UX, or ...) doesn't have any bugs,
> and when you do find that rare bug, the vendor always fixes it
> *immediately*.  I must be misremembering my last 15 years with Solaris.
> ;-)

As a Solaris admin who started back in the annoying (yet oddly stable) days of
SunOS 4.1.3_U1, I agree with that.  Solaris, in our experience here (and for
reasons I can't explain) gave us problems in all its odd-numbered releases.
2.5.1, 7, and 9 have been pretty bad with us overall, but 6, 8, and 10 have
been pretty good.  The only 'gotcha' we ran across in 10 is an ongoing nonsense
related to TCP Fusion and databases.

Obviously, due to this we tread VERY lightly with new Solaris releases at
first, and are not above skipping a version or two.

> I've said it before on this list -- I think the biggest challenge for
> using an x86-based backup server (Linux or otherwise) is finding a box with
> the right I/O layout.  It can be a challenge finding an x86 box that
> doesn't have all the onboard NICs, SCSI/SAS controllers, and half the PCI
> slots all on one bus.

To me it appears that having good I/O on your box is the main requirement with
Networker, regardless of platform.  It's why I've been able to still run SunEBS
with just an E450 (4 buses) as Server and a V240 (2 buses) as SN, despite
having 30 TB of disk and 2xLTO-2 on each.

As we're a Sun shop, I'm going to replace the Server with an older T2000 at
some point (preferably one that has seen good life / stress-tested elsewhere).
Though the speed record was a factor in the choice, my main requirement is the
ability for it to last another 4-5 years without serious upgrades (other than
memory or internal cards) and having one free up during upgrades elsewhere.
I'm slightly less confident about Sun's Opteron offerings in that respect,
though having a 'Thumper' as another SN is still a possibility long-term.

I don't see any issues with using Windows (2003+) or Linux though, if you're
confident enough in both the hardware and OS you select for Networker.

--TSK
Tim Kimball