Networker

Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?

2008-02-13 10:54:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:47:27 +0200
Tim Mooney wrote:

Agreed.  For what you pay to buy one decent SPARC box with the right
I/O layout, you can probably buy an x86 server (again, watch the I/O
config) plus 2-3 storage nodes.

This is a PQ for a Sun T1000 from Sun's web site. It should make a great storage node (I will know for sure within a month or so). It is priced like any typical x86 server. Notice that the Emulex HBA is very expensive (but this should be the same for x86 as well).

Item Description        Qty     Your Price (U.S.)Price (U.S.)

Your price is discounted based on this contract:
        Total

Sun Fire T1000 Server
1

T10Z106A-04GB1G
$ 2,795.00
$ 2,795.00
Sun Fire T1000 Server, 6 Core, 1.0 GHz UltraSPARC T1 Processor, 4 GB (4 x 1 GB DIMMs) DDR2 Memory, 160 GB SATA Disk Drive, 1 Power Supply, 4 x 10/100/1000 Ethernet Ports, 1 Serial Port, 1 PCIe Slot, Solaris 10 Operating System and Java Enterprise System Software Preinstalled, RoHS-5 Compliant
Ships Within: 12  business days Call Sun
1

X311L
$ 0.00
$ 0.00
Power Cord Kit, North American/Asian, RoHS Compliant
Ships Within: 5  business days Call Sun
1

SG-XPCIE2FC-EM4
$ 1,995.00
$ 1,995.00
4 Gb Dual FC PCIe Host Bus Adapter, Emulex, includes Standard and Low Profile Brackets, RoHS-6 Compliant
Ships Within: 5  business days Call Sun
        1
$ 4,790.00

$ 4,790.00