Networker

Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?

2008-02-13 00:56:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:51:21 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] best platform for newest networker?, Vincent...:

A big mistake to goto Linux

I promised myself I wouldn't get drawn into this thread, but can't resist
now...  ;-)

It might be a big mistake for some environments to go to Linux, but I
think your blanket statement can't be generally applied to everyone.

The environment I work in has lots of Linux experience.  We've been using
a Linux-based server for our NetWorker server (now servers) for several
years.  It hasn't been a mistake for us, at all.

- Capital cost saving is great and operation cost is great too

Agreed.  For what you pay to buy one decent SPARC box with the right
I/O layout, you can probably buy an x86 server (again, watch the I/O
config) plus 2-3 storage nodes.

- Good finger pointing exercise with your hardware vendors and Linux
service providers

Because you actually have *choice* for hardware with Linux, you have to
be more careful in your hardware selection.  If you select the right
vendor for your hardware, you should be able to avoid any finger pointing.

I would argue that one should always be careful with hardware selection,
even when you only have one hardware vendor to choose from.  It's
certainly possible to pick a Sun SPARC box that's a poor fit for your
backup needs.  You just have to be a little *extra* careful with x86
hardware (primarily because of I/O).

I would also add that this same issue with finger pointing holds true in
very large measure for Solaris x86, and to a lesser extent for Windows.

- Poor hardware management / hot plug support / stability

I don't know what you're getting at here, so I can't comment.  What,
exactly, are you hot-plugging on your backup server?  Entire I/O boards?

- Free endless bug finding exercise

Ah yes, because Solaris (or AIX, or HP-UX, or ...) doesn't have any bugs,
and when you do find that rare bug, the vendor always fixes it
*immediately*.  I must be misremembering my last 15 years with Solaris.
;-)

- Good for a small environment only

Define small.

I've said it before on this list -- I think the biggest challenge for
using an x86-based backup server (Linux or otherwise) is finding a box with
the right I/O layout.  It can be a challenge finding an x86 box that
doesn't have all the onboard NICs, SCSI/SAS controllers, and half the PCI
slots all on one bus.

I'm no Linux zealot (though I work with a few), but I think it's
disingenuous to make such a blanket statement about Linux as a NetWorker
server.  It's no utopia, but in the right environment, using Linux on your
NetWorker server can make a lot of sense and work very well.

We've been doing it for years, and frankly, the kinds of problems we've
had with NetWorker have been the problems that impact all the other
NetWorker platforms equally.  My headaches are generally with EMC, not
Linux, or Red Hat, or Sun, or <insert other vendor here>

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)