Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting DIFFERENTIAL Jobs from Volumes

2016-05-23 08:30:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting DIFFERENTIAL Jobs from Volumes
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 08:29:44 -0400
On 05/23/16 04:20, Larrybwoy wrote:
> The only problem is the filesystem that I back up has 91 gigs, and
> the backup keeps getting bigger and bigger with all the differential
> jobs. So far the max vol size is set to 300GB, and with the backups
> running all weekend it now created a second volume for the same job
> since it reached its max size on the first volume. It's why I need to
> find out how to make Bacula remove older differential jobs from the
> first volume.

The short version is, you can't.

You can *mark jobs as deleted* in a volume, but that won't free any
space.  You can delete only the entire volume at one time.  You can't
compact it except by copying the jobs you don't want to delete to a new
volume, then deleting the original volume.  And if your disk volumes are
hitting 300GB, then each of those copy operations is going to be tying
up half a terabyte while it runs.

In my opinion, you're going about it all wrong.  On disk, you don't have
a minimum efficient volume size, and that means you want your volumes
SMALLER, not bigger.  Your plan should be based on using each volume
*only once*.  If you're running hourly differential backups, then start
a new autolabelled volume for each batch of jobs, with a volume use
duration of, say, 59 minutes.  When the use duration expires, the next
batch of jobs will automatically create a new volume.  As soon as a
batch of jobs "ages out", you can purge them and delete the volume that
contains them.  Plus, now you're deleting 5GB, 10GB, 15GB volumes at a
time instead of 300GB volumes.

I've been running this model for years for my incremental and
differential backups, and it works.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications