Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Deleting DIFFERENTIAL Jobs from Volumes

2016-05-23 04:21:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] Deleting DIFFERENTIAL Jobs from Volumes
From: Larrybwoy <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 01:20:37 -0700
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies and good advice. The reason I thought of this backup
plan is because what I need to back up are multiple dynamic file systems from
abut 20 servers. These file systems contain data that is always changing since
they contain various dynamic application files. I do not need to have backups
that are old; in case of a disaster, I need to be able to bring back the data
that was lost during the past hour at most, so that the people working with the
applications only lose 1 hour of work in the worst case scenario. I have this
set up and running pretty well on 2 hosts so far.

 The only problem is the filesystem that I back up has 91 gigs, and the backup
keeps getting bigger and bigger with all the differential jobs. So far the max
vol size is set to 300GB, and with the backups running all weekend it now
created a second volume for the same job since it reached its max size on the
first volume. It's why I need to find out how to make Bacula remove older
differential jobs from the first volume. As far as I know, during a restore on
a backup that uses differential backups, only the last differential backup
(which should contain all other changes made to the backed up filesystem in the
previous diff jobs) and the full backup should be required.

Here is my setup. (If you guys have a better ideea on how I should set this up
considering my needs please feel free to advise)

Thanks a lot for the help !

The CLIENT config :
--------------------------------
Client {
        Name = server1-fd
        Address = server1.com
        FDPort = 9102
        Catalog = MyCatalog
        Password = "NDdkODYyMDM4NTZmNjYzNjYwZmE5MzIwZ"          # password for
Remote FileDaemon
        File Retention = 30 days            # 30 days
        Job Retention = 6 months            # six months
        AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired Jobs/Files
}

Pool {
  Name = RemoteFile
  Pool Type = Backup
  Label Format = Server1-
  Recycle = yes                        # Bacula can automatically recycle
Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                      # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 7 days            # one year
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 300G          # Limit Volume size to something
reasonable
  Maximum Volumes = 10                 # Limit number of Volumes in Pool
}

FileSet {
  Name = "Xtm-Full"
  Include {
    Options {
    sparse=yes
    }
    File = /xtm
  }
  Exclude {
  }
}

Job {
  Name = "Sever1-DIFF"
  JobDefs = "DifferentialJob"
  Client = Server1-fd
  Pool = RemoteFile
  FileSet="Xtm-Diff"
  Write Bootstrap = "/var/spool/bacula/%c.bsr"
  Accurate = yes
}

FileSet {
  Name = "Xtm-Diff"
  Include {
    Options {
    sparse=yes
    }
    File = /xtm
  }
  Exclude {
  }
}

The Schedule :
-----------------

Schedule {
  Name = "HourlyCycle"
  Run  = Differential hourly at 00:55
}

The JobDef
------------------

JobDefs {
  Name = "DifferentialJob"
  Type = Backup
  Level = Differential
  Client = Server1-fd
  Schedule = "HourlyCycle"
  Storage = File
  Messages = Standard
  Pool = RemoteFile
  Priority = 10
  Write Bootstrap = "/var/spool/bacula/%c.bsr"
  Accurate = yes
}

Laest Finished Jobs
Terminated Jobs:
 JobId  Level    Files      Bytes   Status   Finished        Name
   290  Diff         28    40.27 M  OK       23-May-16 05:57 Server1-DIFF
   292  Diff         28    40.51 M  OK       23-May-16 06:57 Server1-DIFF
   294  Diff         29    40.70 M  OK       23-May-16 07:57 Server1-DIFF
   296  Diff         29    40.94 M  OK       23-May-16 08:57 Server1-DIFF
   298  Diff         29    41.19 M  OK       23-May-16 09:58 Server1-DIFF

THE FILESYSTEMS
To be backed up >
/dev/md2              440G   92G  326G  22% /xtm

The actual backups:

-rw-r----- 1 bacula tape 300G May 21 04:06 Server1-0035
-rw-r----- 1 bacula tape 223G May 23 09:58 Server1-0036

(I have substituted the server hostnames with fictional stuff, for security
reasons)