Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting DIFFERENTIAL Jobs from Volumes

2016-05-23 07:24:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Deleting DIFFERENTIAL Jobs from Volumes
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 07:23:52 -0400
On 5/23/2016 5:44 AM, Larrybwoy wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Thanks for the replies and good advice. The reason I thought of this backup
> plan is because what I need to back up are multiple dynamic file systems from
> abut 20 servers. These file systems contain data that is always changing
> since they contain various dynamic application files. I do not need to have
> backups that are old; in case of a disaster, I need to be able to bring back
> the data that was lost during the past hour at most, so that the people
> working with the applications only lose 1 hour of work in the worst case
> scenario. I have this set up and running pretty well on 2 hosts so far.

I would consider what you are protecting against to be hardware failure,
not a disaster. A disaster is a flood or something that takes out both
servers and the Bacula machine, along with the on site backup media.
Bacula is not meant to be a high availability solution. I suggest using
a Pacemaker/Corosync cluster with server filesystems on DRBD. This will
protect against a single machine failure with zero downtime. Bacula
backups can then be daily incrementals to protect against accidental
deletion, virus, etc., with full backups being rotated to an off-site
location on some schedule to protect against disaster.