Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backing up automounted FS

2016-03-30 12:50:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backing up automounted FS
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 12:48:14 -0400
On 03/30/16 11:42, Lloyd Brown wrote:
> Okay.  I'm hoping that someone can give me some kind of helpful
> suggestions here.  I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to
> manage backups for some automounted user directories.
>
> In short, I need to back up a set of NFS-shared filesystems that
> represent users' home directories on my system.  If I use an automount
> approach (example configs attached), then even if I can get them all
> mounted, the bacula-fd will see them as separate filesystems, and I will
> need to specify "onefs=no", to allow the backup job to traverse to other
> filesystems.

First piece of advice:  Don't back up over NFS if you have any choice at
all.  Put a client on the NFS server instead and back up there.  Trying
to back up an NFS-mounted filesystem over the NFS mount very, very,
*very* rarely ends well.  It is an option of last resort.

> The trouble with "onefs=no" is that the users could easily have symlinks
> to other filesystems, that I don't want to back up.  I'm assuming that
> if I specify "onefs=no" it will traverse symlinks to other filesystems.

Bacula does not traverse symlinks, period.  Symbolic links are backed up
as symbolic links, not as their targets.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications