Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] backing up automounted FS

2016-03-30 11:44:53
Subject: [Bacula-users] backing up automounted FS
From: Lloyd Brown <lloyd_brown AT byu DOT edu>
To: Bacula <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 09:42:17 -0600
Okay.  I'm hoping that someone can give me some kind of helpful
suggestions here.  I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to
manage backups for some automounted user directories.

In short, I need to back up a set of NFS-shared filesystems that
represent users' home directories on my system.  If I use an automount
approach (example configs attached), then even if I can get them all
mounted, the bacula-fd will see them as separate filesystems, and I will
need to specify "onefs=no", to allow the backup job to traverse to other
filesystems.

The trouble with "onefs=no" is that the users could easily have symlinks
to other filesystems, that I don't want to back up.  I'm assuming that
if I specify "onefs=no" it will traverse symlinks to other filesystems.

One alternate approach I've been testing is to use some dynamic
definition of the filesystem list (eg a 'File = "|somescript"', or 'File
= "<somefilename"'), but so far, only the Full jobs seem to be picking
up the changes, not the incrementals.

So, any thoughts about approaches here?  Is there another way I can
allow traversal of filesystems, but only within a specific path prefix?

I admit it, I'm testing on a Debian VM, using Debian's outdated bacula
packages (5.2.6+dfsg-9.3).  If there's a known fix, I can certainly
build an updated version, though.

--
Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator