Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backing up automounted FS

2016-03-30 13:09:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backing up automounted FS
From: Lloyd Brown <lloyd_brown AT byu DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 11:04:19 -0600

On 03/30/2016 10:48 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
First piece of advice:  Don't back up over NFS if you have any choice at
all.  Put a client on the NFS server instead and back up there.  Trying
to back up an NFS-mounted filesystem over the NFS mount very, very,
*very* rarely ends well.  It is an option of last resort.

Well, yes.  I would.  Except it's a storage appliance, not a generic server.  I get a choice of NFS, CIFS, or direct-exported blocks  In this case, it's actually an Oracle ZFS-based appliance, which is Solaris under the covers, but I'm guessing it's going to be difficult to get the bacula-fd running there.  And they're claiming that doing stuff at that level, will potentially void warranties.

And that's actually an improvement.  The system that this is replacing, is a bunch of embedded FPGAs that serve NFS.  No OS that I get to see at all.  Whatever OS there is, is completely hidden, and likely very custom.

> The trouble with "_onefs_=no" is that the users could easily have symlinks
> to other filesystems, that I don't want to back up.  I'm assuming that
> if I specify "_onefs_=no" it will traverse symlinks to other filesystems.
Bacula does not traverse symlinks, period.  Symbolic links are backed up
as symbolic links, not as their targets.

Ah.  That's a good clarification.  So it will only traverse to a new FS, if the new FS is mounted in the tree where the backup is occurring?  That's dramatically less likely to happen.

Now if I can figure out a good way to mount everything I need, or alternatively use an external file or script to define it, I might be in business.

--
Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator