Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] is 7.2 ready for prime time?

2015-09-25 12:04:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] is 7.2 ready for prime time?
From: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
To: "Raymond Burns Jr." <rburnsj AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 09:01:29 -0700

I run daily backups of my database and had finished my monthly full run
for September, so I was technically covered.  However I was not looking
forward to restoring a 900+Gb mysql database from a text dump which on
my system would take days, if not an entire week.  The last time I had
to restore database from backup it was 4 or so years ago and my database
was only 300-400Gb back then.

Stephen

On 09/25/2015 08:50 AM, Raymond Burns Jr. wrote:
> [...]
>     version 14.
>      > Error. Cannot upgrade this database.
>      > ----------
>      >
>      >
>      > If it updatad the database to 14, why is it not able to update to
>     15 if
>      > that's what the Director requires?
>      >
>      >
>      > thanks!
>      > Stephen
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > On 09/24/2015 11:21 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>      >> Hello,
>      >>
>      >> We put a caution message in every release, particularly for new
>     features
>      >> which are generally tested but not always tested in production.
>     Normally
>      >> most of the issues turn up for non-Linux distributions where we
>     either
>      >> have not tested or have tested less than Linux.
>      >>
>      >> Version 7.2.0 is as stable or more so than any prior major
>     release. That
>      >> said, there are always a few minor problems for each release and
>     this
>      >> one is no different.  All the important problems (build issues on
>      >> Solaris and FreeBSD) have been corrected in the public git
>     repository.
>      >>
>      >> Best regards,
>      >> Kern
>      >>
>      >> On 15-09-24 11:40 AM, Stephen Thompson wrote:
>      >>> All,
>      >>>
>      >>> I typically patch bacula pretty frequently, but I saw the somewhat
>      >>> unusual notice on the latest release notes that warns it may not be
>      >>> ready for use in production.  How stable is it?  I don't really
>     have the
>      >>> resources to test this out, but rather would have to go straight to
>      >>> production with it.  I could always roll back, but that might
>     entail the
>      >>> recovery from dump of a 900GB database.  Opinions?
>      >>>
>      >>> thanks,
>      >>> Stephen
>      >

>     --
>     Stephen Thompson               Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
>     stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu <mailto:stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT
> edu>
>     215 McCone Hall # 4760
>     Office: 510.664.9177           University of California, Berkeley
>     Remote: 510.214.6506 (Tue,Wed) Berkeley, CA 94720-4760

Stephen Thompson               Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu    215 McCone Hall # 4760