Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Browsing through Bacula made backup files

2015-07-30 18:33:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Browsing through Bacula made backup files
From: Josip Deanovic <djosip+news AT linuxpages DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 00:31:24 +0200
On Thursday 2015-07-30 21:51:11 Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
> Hello,

> > I would like to add that in order to extract the files without the
> > bacula database, using the bextract tool, you will also have to create
> > a bootstrap file.
>
> Well. It is not required. It is possible to use bextract without a bsr
> file.

It is possible but without a bootstrap file you wouldn't be able to
control what job or a number of jobs gets extracted.
If you have multiple backup jobs from multiple systems contained inside
the same backup volume (which is common scenario) the restore without a
bsr file would make a mess in the specified output directory.

I might be wrong because I didn't try it but it seems to me that this is
exactly what would happen (unless you are using one job per volume which
is possible but rare practice).

--
Josip Deanovic