Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copy tape job for offsite - best practices

2015-07-30 16:14:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copy tape job for offsite - best practices
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 16:11:55 -0400
On 07/29/2015 05:16 PM, RAT wrote:
> I'm not (easily) finding a way to copy weekend full backups to a 2nd tape for
> offsite.  I've seen some pretty elaborate SQL programs.  Isn't there an easier
> way?

Hi Robert,

I can't officially call this a "best practices" response, but one thing you
might want to try to avoid dealing with complex SQL queries for copy jobs is
this:

- Set up a pool where your weekend jobs are written to.

- In that weekend pool make sure to set the "NextPool =" directive to point to
a pool that your offsite tape drive can use.

- Set up a copy job with the "Pool =" directive pointing to that weekend pool
("Pool = " directive in a copy job refers to the originating pool).

- Set the copy job's SelectionType = PoolUncopiedJobs

- Schedule the copy job to run after all weekend jobs are expected to be done
and/or set its priority lower so that even if it is scheduled for the same
time as the rest, it will be queued and will not start until the backup jobs
are finished.

Now there are no "unsightly SQL queries" in your copy job's configuration, and
your weekend jobs are easily identified by the copy job based on the fact that
they are in one pool.

Once a job has been copied, it will not be copied again if you use the
"PoolUncopiedJobs" SelectionType, so this is a nice shortcut.

Now you might need this to be a little more complex if you have (or require)
multiple weekend pools. For example, you may have Full, Inc, and Diff weekend
pools, or weekend pools based on client, or type of job (web servers, windows
servers, db servers etc)  In which case you just need to build on the basic
example and create those multiple weekend pools, and multiple Copy jobs to
address each pool.

Hope this helps!

Bill

--