Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula causing high disk-io on clients

2015-06-25 19:48:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula causing high disk-io on clients
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 19:46:51 -0400
On 06/25/2015 07:46 AM, SPQR wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> Wow, this was really fast :-) Thanks for your answer.
>
> of course I know, that this is a io-consuming-process, but the load is really
> too high. Other tasks that are done by the system (log rotation, ...) are not
> working correctly and once the server crashed bc. of this high load.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to use ionice -c2 -n7, even if the backup-task works
> longer?
>
> In this case the system would only read/write, if there are no other
> processes which need the io.

I wonder if the "MaximumBandwidth =" setting in your Job resource might help
you to reduce disk i/o load. If the File Daemon is self-limiting on what it
can send over the network, surely what it is reading from the disk will be
less. Just a thought, not something I would typically implement - fast backups
seems to be the normal requirement. And usually the faster, the better. :)

Either way, if you are reducing the resources (disk i/o or network bandwidth)
your backups will take more time - A fact which you have already conceded to. :)

You might also look into Virtual Full backups. This way you only have to
suffer the high i/o once*, then do incremental jobs each day.

Then, instead of running a full when the time comes (once/month or whatever
your cycle is) you run a Virtual Full and the storage daemon creates a new
full from the current full and the subsequent incremental/differential jobs -
and the client FD is not even contacted while "full" backup is running.

* It is probably a smart idea to run a real full job every once in a while:
"Just In Case"(TM)

Hope this helps!

Bill

--