Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula causing high disk-io on clients

2015-06-27 11:19:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula causing high disk-io on clients
From: Dmitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 10:14:47 -0500
On 6/27/2015 8:55 AM, Alex Domoradov wrote:
> FYI
>
> I have 1Gb uplinks between bacula sd and client and get the following
> results
>
> Compression: NONE
> Time: 07:16:58
> Size: 831.14 GB
> Files: 11,288,747
> Speed: 32.46 MB/s
> Compression: 0.00
>
> Compression: LZO
> Time: 07:56:38
> Size: 653.04 GB
> Files: 11,288,747
> Speed: 23.38 MB/s
> Compression: 0.21
>
> Compression: GZIP
> Time: 10:09:07
> Size: 636.41 GB
> Files: 11,288,747
> Speed: 17.83 MB/s
> Compression: 0.23

What that means is over a gigabit link you can read from 3 clients in
parallel w/o compression, 4 clients w/ lzo compression, and about 6 w/
gzip. I agree, if you have a single roid-warrior fablet client who shows
up on office vlan once a month, client-side compression is wrong for
them. I would say as is bacula: get them btsync or something. I'm
backing up linux servers, plural, so I'd rather gzip on the clients.

The only times I see high i/o load on ext4 is a) recursive chown/chmod
on a large directory tree on nfs file server (because you can't train
users to do it themselves) and b) when a cheap non-tler disk is dead but
doesn't know it yet.

Dima