Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula causing high disk-io on clients

2015-06-25 09:04:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula causing high disk-io on clients
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 13:59:40 +0100
On 25/06/15 13:47, SPQR wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> at the moment I'm using compression = gzip; how can I change the level of
> compression?
>
> Can I just write compression = lzo without any problems?

Yes, but.....

If you reduce the compression level then the disk will be hit harder,
which means that your io load will go up.

About compression:

There is no need to use compression if the client's connection to server
is 1Gb/s or faster and not much point at 100Mb/s. (Compression
frequently slows things down at higher speeds as the CPU becomes a
bottleneck. Using it is a tradeoff.)

Compression is one of those things best only used for backups across a
WAN. If you myst use it, then _benchmark_ things with and without. Most
of the time where you think it will benefit communications on the wire
you will find it actually penalises throughput.