Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 7 on FreeBSD, suddenly can't do anything

2015-01-27 12:14:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 7 on FreeBSD, suddenly can't do anything
From: dweimer <dweimer AT dweimer DOT net>
To: Luc Van der Veken <lucvdv AT wimionline DOT com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:11:51 -0600
On 01/27/2015 10:15 am, Luc Van der Veken wrote:
> Probably not what's wrong in your case, it's even a different OS here
> (Linux), but the symptoms are so similar that I reply anyway:
>
> * Did you recently install avahi or (Apple's) bonjour / zeroconf?
> * Are you using a '.local' TLD for a local DNS domain?
>
> If you have both, that combination breaks name resolution.
>
> It had me scratching my head for a while, because it was still half
> working. My nagios and bacula daemons couldn't find any *.local names
> anymore, but I could still ping the same machines by name at the
> command prompt.

Yes to .local DNS suffix, no to avahi, part of the reasons I like
FreeBSD it doesn't assume you can't configure a network and try to use
annoying network management and auto-configuration utilities like this
unless you intentionally install them.

There was an update to automake and getttext that I installed Sunday,
and reinstalled Bacula. Those updates were also done on the web server
running webacula where the bconsole utility still works resolving host
names.

I also restarted the bacula services opened bconsole and kicked off a
test database backup after the update, and the backups that run Monday
morning ran without a hitch. Then Monday night when I went to login
after switching my external hard drive for the new week that's when the
problems were noticeable. At first it connected, just horribly slow.
After a restart of all the Bacula services, I could no longer connect
with bconsole on the local machine.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer